Sunday, November 05, 2006

A Prairie Home Companion
Running time: 105 minutes
Seemed like it took: 130
Extra features: I actually watched the full length commercials. This was as good as the movie
DVD released 2006
*** out of 5

If you're a fan of theMPR radio show, A Prairie Home Companion, you'll enjoy this. I'm not sure what you'll think if you're unaware of PHC. The movie is as quirky as the radio show. As a casual listener of the radio show, I found this movie to be amusing, but without direction. But, that's what I think of the radio show. It has cute skits and wonderful stories, but it never goes anywhere.

Garrison Keillor wrote the screenplay, and didn't fall for the star factor. His role was actually rather understated. It was probably wise to give the names (Kevin Kline, Merryl Streep, Lily Tomlin) the real acting roles. They were all polished and funny. Unfortunately, the story was just so quirky, and the characters never really developed beyond their initial appearances.

Don't expect a riveting story, just sit back and let the time sit still.
Next: North Country.

1 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you may know, I am a fan of the PHC radio shoe. I saw the movie in the theater. I wasn't blown away, but I didn't expect to be. The show is supposed to be laid back and so was the movie. I thought it was enjoyable. So I think your review was on target.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home