Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Simpsons Movie
In theaters: 2007
Runtime: 87 minutes
Seemed like: 120 minutes
aaaaaaa out of 10 checkmarks

I am a Simpsons fan from the start. I watched them on the Tracy Ullman Show. I remember the first Christmas special before the premier of their primetime show. I purchased cels from their first season. The Simpsons were fresh. Bart was irreverent. The comedy was complex and simple at the same time...the only way I like comedy.

This movie was a tame reflection of what the Simpsons used to be. The movie should have been called Homer's Odyssey, based on its obsession with the father figure. Where was the ironic banter of all of the sidekicks? The beauty of the Simpsons is the depth provided by the Patty and Selma's, or the Apu's, or the Barney's. Their ability to make Homer seem even more simple is what makes the show tick.

I will give kudos for the roles of Chief Wiggum and the comic book guy("worst episode ever"), but what happened to Monty Burns, the billionaire we love to hate. He just had a cameo. Lisa was strong at the outset, but essentially pushed aside by the end. Marge was classic Marge. But Bart was NOT Bart. When would Bart EVER want Flanders for his father??? Bart was barely mischievous.

Maybe I'm too close. The animation was the best I've ever seen on the Simpsons, but that's not saying much. Part of the Simpsons charm has been the lousy animation. Great music...kudos to Hans Zimmer.

I'm glad I saw it, just for history's sake. If you're not a Simpsons fan, and are over 25 don't waste your money.

PS If you go...wait through the credits!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My students (20ish) loved this movie insanely. Demanded that I go see it.

I pointed out that I was female, and this was the antithesis of chick-flick.

You, however, are male. Maybe the charm is generational? THere's a horrifying thought

mirm
(ps-kipp loves his new bob-barber)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home